29 April 2017 | Pasay City, Philippines
Earlier today, the heads of the ASEAN member states signed the ASEAN Leaders Declaration on the Role of the Civil Service as a Catalyst for Achieving ASEAN Community Vision 2025.
The Declaration, which supports the first thematic priority of a People-Oriented, People-Centered ASEAN under the Philippine Chairmanship, highlights the important role of the Civil Service as drivers of national and regional development towards the achievement of ASEAN goals and aspirations for a “politically cohesive, economically integrated, and socially responsible” community, as articulated under the ASEAN Community Vision 2025: Forging Ahead Together.
In recognition of the role of the Civil Service, ASEAN leaders have tasked the ASEAN Civil Service Institutions comprising the ASEAN Cooperation on Civil Service Matters (ACCSM) to lead efforts in carrying out the following agreements:
1. Promote cooperation in the development and implementation of capacity-building programs and encourages sharing of best practices in critical areas of concern. These include progressive people management, organizational performance, skills building, environment promotion, health management and disaster management;
2. Work towards raising the professional standards and capability of civil servants in the region;
3. Develop mechanisms that ensure the civil service of ASEAN would embrace good governance principles towards building government institutions that are resilient, trusted and future-ready;
4. Uphold and protect the welfare of civil servants in the region, including those performing critical roles during disasters and other hazardous situations; and
5. Strengthen alliance-building within ASEAN and with external partners.
The Philippine Civil Service takes pride in initiating the development of this significant document as it breaks new grounds in ensuring cooperation and synergy among the ASEAN Member States (AMS) across the three pillars and the various sectors of the ASEAN Community. We also take this opportunity to express our appreciation to our counterparts from the ASEAN Member States for their cooperation and support that led to the signing of this document.
I am pleased to announce that following the signing of the Declaration, Heads of ASEAN Civil Service will meet in November this year to discuss the way forward and draw up a concrete action plan to implement the declaration.